How can
we help you?

Graffiti letters
  1. FAQ
  2. Your obligations as a freelancer
  3. Hacienda

What is the difference between professional registration (Spanish Treasury) and autónomo registration (Social Security)?

Last updated: May 22, 2024

There are two different processes that will allow you to legally work as a freelancer in Spain.

The first step of the registration is mandatory for anyone that starts freelancing in Spain and wants to generate (legal) invoices. This is completed via the Spanish Treasury (Hacienda) and it is free of charge. Please note that once you're registered, you'll be obligated to report taxes to the Spanish tax authorities (AEAT).

Autónomo registration with Social Security is an additional step and mandatory depending on your individual professional situation (type of activity, volume and frequency of invoicing, etc.). This procedure is also free, but you'll need to start paying the monthly fee (otherwise known as “cuota de autónomos”).

Did this answer your question?